Sunday, March 1, 2009

No Snow Here!

I'm so glad we're in Las Vegas today and not in Atlanta (where there's snow on the ground?!?) or in Kentucky (where it was 27 degrees when I talked to Aunt Laurie this morning).

Instead we spent our day in 70 degree weather here:
It's very cool that we're so close to all of this. If only we had a motorcycle... I was so jealous of all of the people on bikes. Riding through the mountains and the desert is so calming.
We packed a lunch and stopped at some picnic tables to eat.
I think I fed more to the little desert chipmunks than I ate myself. I really hope that bread is not bad for them. As soon as we sat down they started coming from all directions. Word got out fast that we were there. They came right up to me for bread...they probably would have taken it from my hand but I was too chicken to find out for sure.
These are a stop on the scenic drive that they call beehives.


I wanted to see wildlife... aside from the chipmunks, all we saw was lots of lizards. Of course I'm a fan of the lizards so if they'd stick around long enough I had to take their picture.

The petroglyphs were neat to see. I don't know how you know if they are really petroglyphs or the work of a creative park ranger (ignore my finger in the corner...)

I was intrigued by this little tree/cactus (?). Not sure how something survives standing on the tip toes of its roots like this.
On the way in and out, we opted to ride through the Lake Mead National Recreation Area instead of taking the interstate. It was beautiful. We'll be going back one weekend to find trails along the water.


I'm so glad we got outside and explored today!

I've been successful in ignoring the blog for some time now. I'm going to try to get better (partly because I've been wanting to anyway and partly because Phil has challenged everyone to update their blogs daily in March... I can guaranteed I won't have daily updates though) I have past adventures to post too including the ski trip and dad's visit to Vegas so stay tuned for more...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

18 days until spring here in KY! Of course that doesn't really mean much until what May? Sigh. At least the time changes next week. I'm very jealous of your day trip. It looks very nice.
Lisa

Philip Deskins said...

Wow that looks awesome. I really, really want to visit. Maybe when I come, we could rent cycles or something? I'd be up for it! I think I'd rather do that then lose money in a casino. We will visit someday, I promise!

Unknown said...

And think of all the great updates you'll have when the geographers come to town.

Jen said...

So, apparently there are a ton of marathons that take place in Vegas each year - one is coming up this weekend (found out from a running friend on Saturday). Mike and I are totally planning to run one next year - count on a visit from us!! (Not that we needed a marathon as an excuse to visit, but it helps me validate the number of vacations I take each year : ) )

LKS said...

Come on! We're ready for everyone to visit!

Ms. Thomas said...

Yeah, those geographers and one sister and her husband are coming to town, so you better be ready for us! Because your yard is the size of our entire apartment complex so we know you can house us all.

Can't wait to see you. Better brush up on your A to Z skills because me and Sarah together is like rad to the power of awesome.

Also, visit California please. LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like the best adventure ever. . and in warm temperatures. . .I would love to have warm temperatures. . .I am starting to turn blue.